I often use my study not only as a space to do my uni work, and write blog posts, but also to relax, sit, watch a few YouTube videos, have a look on Pinterest for inspiration and also to make and sew. However when we first moved in, this room was not very high on the list, or the budget, so in an attempt just to make it feel like some kind of working space I made a really quick and cheap effort. However, the new year dawned and and so did it that this space just wasn’t cutting it for me. I didn’t feel inspired or calmed by this room, neither did I feel like the desk or room was set up and ready to work. So I wanted to make it a relaxing space, perfect for its dual purpose of work and as a relaxing area for me, with options and space of how I wanted to work.
Wooden Panel – Laura Ashley | Printer – Canon
Shams & Blanket – Ebay
| White Cushions – Primark
Grey Cushion – Emma Bridgewater
As you can see there was no major structural or paint changes made, I was happy with the general layout as it’s what worked best, and I’m still in love with the pink striped feature wall. The main changes was really the whole desk area. The previous mint green (Pistachio Cookie by Valspar in case you were curious) had to go first, as much as I had tried to be bold and play with some colour, my heart lies with grey and I’m perfectly OK with that. I used Farrow and Ball Estate Eggshell in Elephants Breath and gave the desk 3 coats to completely mask the green, this was a delight to do though as the paint went on like a dream and dried really quickly. I also used this paint on the little trunk which I use to store spare blankets and other miscellaneous items, and the standard lamp which I felt just disappeared in the background of white walls. Additionally, I ended up using Elephants Breath on the legs of my new chair, I got it from Ebay here
after swooning over this
one from Made.com, which was £50 more expensive and had a 4 week wait! Next up was the large memo board, if you follow me on Instagram you may have seen my story when I was making this and I did a little step by step, I might do a post on it but annoyingly I didn’t take any pictures and once a InstaStory is gone, I’ve no idea how to get it back! But basically, I bought some gorgeous fabric from John Lewis clearance for £10 a metre, got the boyfriend to get and cut to size some plywood for me, I used a staple gun to do 2 layers of wadding, followed by the fabric on top and then stapled the ribbons and hot glued the crosses to add support. So all in all, the whole thing only cost me £25, and I had fabric left over that I can reuse so I was very pleased. There was then just a few finishing touches, including the lamp shade of which I’ve already posted the DIY, and it was complete.
I’m super pleased with how it turned out and it’s made such a difference to how I feel when I go in there to do some work now. It really gives me that extra motivation to get going, which I’m sure we could all use a little bit of sometimes. Hope you liked how it turned out!